View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
320touring
Master EcoModder

The Mistress - '88 Bmw 320i Touring SE
Team m8
Last 3: 27.17 mpg (US)

Germany Beadle - '91 Mercedes 300td (estate, N/A)
90 day: 24.63 mpg (US)

The Bloodylingo - '05 Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire
90 day: 39.77 mpg (US)

Shanner Scaab - '03 Saab 9-5 estate Vector
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Clio 182 - '05 Renault Clio RS 182 182
90 day: 31.73 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzer View Post
of course, bying an other car hardly saves money.

i have some remarks to make.
here in europe the epa of hybrid car is not the same as for non hybrids. due to the rules the epa is a little better and so harder to reach in the real world. maybe you will not get the same 113%.

on the other hand, u can calculate the repair costs at the minimum, u can imagine. my prius has done 190.000km with the stock set of brakes now, and the end isnīt in sight. every 15.000km some engine oil (3,2l) thats it, almost exactly.

however, if you go for it, you will expirience a whole new kind of driving and you will never ever want to change it back. other cars are simply yesterday...
Yeah- you're right re buying a car never being cheap..however, a Ģ2000 diesel that did 55mpg would break even easily within the 5 yrs..even with the higher cost of diesel here.

I was aware that the Prius may be more difficult to hypermile via driver input-thanks for confirming it

point taken regarding the servicing/repair..so far my iS has only used 1/4 of the pads and discs fitted to it- so I can see them lasting circa 60k miles, not too bad for non regen breaking

I may still blag a test

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
My spreadsheet takes this into account. All you have to do is set your current car's value to what you would get if you sold it. All cars are treated at their current value caluclated from a depreciation table so only total ownership cost is considered (buy car, drive it, sell it, total expenditure).

Here is an unrefined copy I have on my work machine...
Funnily enough, most of the clean, sub 150k miles iS with MOT and Tax I can find are actually around Ģ600-1000 depending on spec, so I'd be up some

cheers for the spreadsheet- I'll download it once back home!

US MPG for my Renault Clio 182

---------------------------------------------------