View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ryland
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
Well, if you look at Ebay motors under Electric Fuel you will find classic EV's going back to 1890 at times, but 1970's, 1980's and 1990's are more common.
So what are the most common issues with the classic EV? (I assume that was the point of this topic?), People already part out EV's, of course it's not common because most of the issues are with needing new batteries or needing their speed controller updated from what was used in 1975, a few that need their battery charger updated too, but for the most part anything built in the last 20 years that has a solid state speed controller just needs a new set of batteries because they used lead acid batteries and after about 5 years those wore out.
There is one Zenn EV on Ebay right now that is for sale for parts because of front end damage and a friend of mine bought an EV shell that had the motor and some other parts pulled from it and is putting it back together with new parts.
So currently classic EV's are still expensive even when they don't work but I think that will change slowly, we've already seen that change to a point where they have dropped in price by nearly half, gone are the days of a 10 year old Toyota Rav4-ev selling for $50,000 with 100,000 miles on it, they now sell for a much more reasonable price of $15,000 to $20,000 and as we get more EV's on the road the more the price of used ones will drop.