View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
Chris D.
EcoModding Minded

Lunar Mist - '02 Toyota Tacoma SR5
90 day: 25.31 mpg (US)

Silver Streak - '08 Toyota Corolla S
90 day: 38.25 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Chris D.
There isn't an engine out there that doesn't emit oil from the pvc system to some extent..
I've built plenty of engines to know that an oil catch can is a decent mod..

I built an engine and ran it for around 20k till I decided to pull the head and use some arp head studs, no other changes.. There was a small amount of carbon buildupon the pistons..

I cleaned them off, prepped the deck, and finished the install..
While I was waiting for suspension parts, I made a catch can after reading something on a solo2 site.. It didn't seem like a bad idea and it couldn't hurt anything..

Once it was buttoned up, I did a cold and hot compression test and all was consistant..

I ran the engine for about 40k this way before I did a cam swap (sohc) I messed up and dropped a valve so I pulled the head and the pistons looked great, next to no buildup with twice the mileage...

It could be the engine wasn't broken in completley, donno..
I file fitted the rings when I built it and even today with 110k on it after doing a cometic hg swap, it looks great today.

If your freugal on your setup, thats fine, diy faq's are out there and it can cost you next to nothing to do..

I know all about Bob and his studies, makes for some great reading imho..

I run a catch can, could care less on what it looks like and don't pop the hood to show anyone anything because I don't care..

I got results, yours may vary, believe the hype or go the other way with it, makes me no difference

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris D. For This Useful Post:
j12piprius (05-27-2018), Olympiadis (01-22-2012)