View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #37 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I have had swelled glow plugs before.
I think the best way to remove them is snap them off and fish them out through the injector hole.
If you have tiny injectors where this wont work you will have to pull the head off or live with 1 less functioning glowplug. On a 4 cylinder this might make cold starts pretty rough, on a V8 its not so bad.

EGR might be good for gas engines, but most of the diesel users who delete EGR report better fuel mileage.
If EGR was so great why aren't some of the latest gasoline engine generations using it?

EGR in a gas or diesel is full of soot. Soot is abrasive like dirt. Why would I want dirt going into my engine?

Layers of diesel exhaust soot and motor oil from the crank case vent does a pretty good job a clogging intakes with sludge. When I tore my diesel down the sluge in the intake ports was between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch thick. It was caked on so thick I could have stuck birthday cake candles in it. It took over an hour in the parts washer for each head to get the ports cleaned out and that was after I pressure washed them with a 0 degree nozzle.

Now that its gotten colder lately my cold starts with B10 bio diesel involve a lot more white smoke. Next fill up will be with regular diesel. I have not been using bio diesel for very long so the mix sloshing around in the tank is some where around B5 to B8 mix.