View Single Post
Old 01-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #39 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
EGR is good , EGR reduces NOX and improves Fuel economy
EGR does not operate at WOT and therefore does not reduce max availible power
there is no good reason to delete it
EGR does reduce NOx. On a gas engine, there are some circumstances where EGR can improve FE due to reducted throttling losses. EGR on a diesel is a different story. I've worked with and tuned diesels for years (both EGR & non-EGR) and have never, ever, ever seen a scenario where adding EGR improved FE. EGR can often produce better fuel economy at the same NOx level, but just adding EGR will always reduce FE.

Not sure where you got the information that EGR doesn't operate at max power. I've seen lots of diesels where there's EGR all along the torque curve.

Quote:
Bio diesel is bad
it cloggs up particle traps with ash , ash is not purged during regen
particle traps damaged by Bio diesel are not warrenteed by Mother VW and Partical traps are not inexpensive
When made properly, biodiesel doesn't contain any more ash than traditional diesel fuel. The ASTM standard for traditional diesel fuel (ASTM D975) calls for ash <=0.01% mass. The ASTM standard for B5 & B20 (ASTM D7467)
also calls for ash <=0.01% mass. The spec is exactly the same for ash.

Of course, sometimes people use some crappy biodiesel that they made in their garage. Of course there can be problems there. But you'll have the same problems if you burn crappy conventional diesel fuel--but it's not a biodiesel thing.

If anything, biodiesel should extend the life of the particulate filter, because biodiesel typically produces about 10 times less particulate than conventional diesel fuel. Even B20 typically produces about 1/2 the soot than conventional diesel. Less soot produced means fewer regens, therefore more DPF life.

Quote:
Bio diesel is bad
bio diesel leaves behind deposits that completely close intake passages so that the engine can not run
and Bio diesel leaves behind deposits that freeze up variable vane turbo chargers , effectively killing them although sometimes the vanes can be UNclogged , most techs can not UNclogg them
have you ever encountered glow plugs taht have been broken off in the cyl head because the tips were carboned in place and would not release as the glow plug was removed ?
i have
How is biodiesel going to leave deposits in your intake?! In a diesel the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, not the intake. The only way anything from any fuel could get in your intake would be if you have EGR. Even then, it's after the fuel has been burned. What exactly are these supposed deposits? Most all the deposits that cause problems with VG's, glow plugs, etc. are primarily soot and, as I've already stated, biodiesel produces far less soot than conventional diesel.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel_Dave For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-26-2015)