View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #93 (permalink)
redyaris
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
[QUOTE=sendler;279793]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post

Has anyone figured out what forces cause some motorcycles to lean into a side wind and some streamliners to get blown over? My CBR250R leans into the wind very well when ridden in a tuck. I had thought that it might be because of the cg on the roll axis being above the center of pressure when view from the side. But the "Gray" is said to behave the same way even though it has crazy amounts of side surface area, way up high.
The forces acting on the bike/streamliner are the same. Wind pressure. What the rider does to counteract the the rolling of the vehicle, due to the wind pressure, is the same. Counter steering, to get the vehicle to role in the opposite direction to the wind force. At the angle of lean into the wind that the two forces are equil the bike will proceed down the road.
The reason that some vehicles get blown over are; the wind velocity [force], the mass and its location, on the vehicle, the traction available to steer the bike, the lift force and its location on the vehicle...
As the mass of the vehicle goes down the rate of roll goes up. as the lift force on the front wheel goes up the available traction goes down.
in the end when the force of the wind is greater than what the rider can counteract the vehicle will get blown over.
A Honda Gold Wing has more side area than my motorcycle yet it rolls slower and to a lesser degree in side winds, this is due in large part to its mass...