View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
como
EcoModding Lurker

thanks for the links!

As expected, used engines for this car start at $500. Oddly enough the guy I got the car from sold it with an extra engine- a real beast of a racing (ricing?) engine that would take some 1500 bucks in parts to shoehorn into this car. I figure if I write off the car I traded for this mess, I might be able to fund the conversion from what that engine sells for On that note, Two of those civics you linked had "conversion costs" listed, both well over 5k! I understand that enough batteries to get any real range will be expensive, and a purpose-built motor is probably a few K on its own, but I don't have unlimited funding for this

It's also funny you mention "owned by a teenager"-- the guy has three years on me, and I've already managed to buy a house.

I'll look around for local EV groups, but since I've only seen one EV on the streets that I know of, I'm not sure I'll find any.

PS: I did a quick search looking for an active IRC channel you folks hang out in- Us older geeks still use it, but I only found a few dead ends. The list feature doesnt seem to work on freenode today- if anyone reading this happens to know of an ecomodder IRC channel, I'd love to find out about it

Last edited by como; 01-16-2012 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: irc note