View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #45 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
So I see this engine as needing 12 times the cooling I would have allowed.
So if I am understanding you correctly ... you were expecting ~30% Energy content of fuel as heat to the radiator ( ~40% to Exhaust ) as a upper limit near 100% WOT ... down to ~2% of energy content of fuel to radiator ( ~83% to exhaust ) at ~25% throttle ... If that is what you were expecting ... I guess I can see your source of surprise.

Do you have any sources I can look at that would go into more detail about the distribution of the ratios of waste heat removal? I haven't seen this specifically yet myself from what I've read. It seems like it would be interesting reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
If the paper is to be believed, the addition of 1.5 lb/hr of hydrogen improved efficiency from 21.95% to 22.78% (bhp/fuel hp)
-m
Which is only a ~3.6% improvement.

Straight Lean Burn ICE's without HHO have been shown under testing to achieve a ~20% efficiency improvement during their Lean Burn operation ... thus ... even if you completely ignored the energy consumed to get the hydrogen in the first place ... and you ignore the additional weight and space of the HHO system ... even if we ignored all those things ... it is still an inferior system to improve ICE efficiency.