View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
merccom
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
In order for it to make any sense you'd still have to put the drivetrain into a more efficient car (better aero and lighter weight). The only thing I can think of that would make sense is a first gen Insight, and I still doubt you'll see the king of hwy mileage the Insight does because of its lean burn (the Prius does not have lean burn). However, your city mileage would be amazingly high.
if the goal is mileage then of course you start with aeromods. but also if you're someone that lives out in the country and doesnt do a lot of city driving the low rpm problems of the prius engine become less of an issue

really what i'm looking for though is an A B compareison of this car gets this mileage with the stock drivetrain and it gets this mileage after the engine conversion.

ideally of course you would drop the prius engine into something like basjoos car and his commuteing situation. that is really the ideal. the first question to answer though what is involved in the conversion?

will the engine bolt to a standard transmission belhousing? can you get an ecu reprogrammed to run the engine or will you have to go with megasquirt? is there any point in the first place for example, if you get 60mpg with the stock engine and aeromods will the engine conversion get you 75mpg or will it get you 62mpg, 53mpg?

these are the things i'm wondering about