View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #103 (permalink)
Ken Fry
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
A rudder would be interesting,using sensors,when side winds start to upset stability add a little rudder,ha ha,but it could work.
The Ecomobile was available with a rudder.

Quote:
It would be nice to open source a enclosed motorcycle,a long the lines of the streamlined electric,using a gas engine,chromemolly tube chassis,full body with doors and retracts for stopping.
The Monotracer (brother of the etracer, which I'm guessing is the electric you are referring to) uses a gas engine. It's not open source, though.

Gets 53 mpg at a constant 75 mph.
http://monotracer.peraves.ch/press/p...tracer1-12.pdf

My Zing started off on two wheels, but I decided to make it three so that it drove like a car. Like the Monotracer, mine was touchy about the transition from outriggers-down to outriggers-retracted. OK for enthusiasts, but not so good for a mass market. The Etracer fell over on the banking at the Auto X Prize and they had a hard time getting it up and rolling again, I heard.

The Lit could solve the low speed problems that come from having to first steer like a car (turn the handle bars to the right to go right) when the outriggers are down, and then steer it like a motorcycle (countersteer right to bank left) when the outriggers are up. I came up with a steering system for mine to avoid some of this, but it didn't completely cure the problem.

But nevertheless, these things can be fun to ride.