View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #48 (permalink)
IamIan
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort View Post
My reference books are in storage, so it may be sometime before I can cite chapter and verse.
No need for chapter and verse type level ... at least not for me ... Just a point in the direction should give me what I am looking for.

Quote:
I'm think the best discussion is in one of the Wiley Engineering Series. Maybe Esbach's.
I'll take a look... thanks for the point.

Quote:
There is an introductory text "Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine" by Pulkrabek which has something on energy balance, however the nice graph (from the 1st ed.) is energy balance vs engine speed at WOT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
I wonder how they get those parts to add up to more than 100% of the energy in?
That would be the obvious 1st issue I have with that chart.

The Second thing I noticed is that ... that graph looks to contradict what mort was expecting ...
  • That Graph looks like it shows the coolant load being a significantly larger % of the energy content of the fuel than the Exhaust is for a large part of the graph ... the graph is showing the coolant system being over 50% of the energy content of the fuel on the left hand side ... way above the 30% max mort suggested as a upper limit.
  • That graph shows on the left side more than 250% of the drive shaft power going to the coolant system ... way above the 175% mort found to be incredible... and way above his worst case of 100%.

But to be fair ... I do not know the context of the graph.