View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #105 (permalink)
Ken Fry
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
I was refering too the streamlined electric on Youtube,just type in streamlined electric.It's a real nice study in design,it using retracts,which is the most cost effective as of now.
The MK5? -- Yes it's nice. On mine, the outriggers were independent so the bike could be held vertical with respect to gravity. Otherwise the list is uncomfortable on a lot of crowned roads, at intersections with side hills, etc. Makes the startup swerves more dramatic, as you try to get the wheels back under the CG.

Quote:
The gyro on the Lit motor design,i'm guessing would be software controlled,otherwise it would seem to me to be impossible to control,but I guess time will tell.
Yes, as far as I know you're right. There are actually two gyros, so they need to be actuated in response to driver intention, which is not a trivial exercise. It is unlike a plane in which the autopilot can fail and you have manual control as a backup. So you'd need a lot of redundancy. Cool idea... dunno if I'd trust a Segway at 60 mph, though.