View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
mans
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
There is a lot of talk about safety, but no data to back the claims. Shall we continue with inapplicable metaphors? Running an HID system is like removing your tires altogether and just running on the rims! See the parallel of light and traction???

I anxiously await the data that shows how dangerous aftermarket HIDs are, even if it includes the most inconsiderate of implementations. Of course this info would have to be juxtaposed with the info showing how the improved lighting helped to avoid certain catastrophe.

While I don't believe concerns of non computer-aided HID designs are unfounded, I do believe they are blown out of proportion. To use my own inapplicable metaphor; the hysteria is reaching global warming proportions!

In all seriousness though, why the vilification of HID but not the same espoused hatred for LED? They are both illegal, and both have very strong potential to be implemented poorly. Further, I find it perplexing that this is the hotbutton religious topic of the forum. There are those who propose building entire vehicles from the ground up, without nary an eyelash batted. We are talking tons of metal barreling down the highway with tremendous potential destructive energy. Still we are more concerned with headlight
implementation than the design of an entire murder waggon? Of course I'm being a bit facetious, but perhaps I have an incorrect perspective?

I'll end by conveying my condolences to the many here who have lost loved ones due to incorrectly focused purple-hued lights.
If I may submit my humble opinion, I think you are bang-on.

there is a little room for concern, but its being blown out of proportion

Bang-on.