View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 01:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
hamsterpower
one of thOOOse people

twitchy - '98 honda civic dx + sir + ls
90 day: 30.2 mpg (US)

Norman - '14 Ford E-350 EXT
90 day: 16.18 mpg (US)

Silver - '12 VW Golf Base
90 day: 26.1 mpg (US)

Sparta - '19 Honda CB300R
90 day: 84.07 mpg (US)
Some AC motors have plenty of torque to direct drive. But these could be (even more) expensive.

I've been thinking about the power vs manual brake issue for my up coming EV build. It seems to me that vacuum as the power is backward for anything other than gas ICE, where it was already available. It would be great if there was a electric boost or even a pneumatic (positive air pressure) brake booster. Air pumps are cheaper and easier to find, than vacuum pumps.

I believe the ideal layout for a parallel hybrid is a small diesel in the back geared high for cruise. Maybe with a PTO generator to charge as an option. With an AC motor driving the front wheels for the best regen potential. Use electric for all acceleration. Bring the diesel online above X velocity and let the electric coast anytime the diesel is enough. Nearly all braking could be done with regen through the front wheels and you have small drums in back to supplement and for parking. There would be no need for a starter on the diesel, just bump start. Probably no need for power brakes.
And in keeping with EV mentality- all the clean EV systems are up front and the dirty ICE systems in the back (under the bed?). Also this allows for decent weight distribution- heavier in the front, lighter in the back.

Paul- doesn't Jackbauer also use SEPEX? I agree that is a good alternative to AC.