View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #14 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Interesting thread. i'd like to add my thoughts.

Driving ANY new, or almost new, for that matter vehicle will never come close to matching the $/mile of a good, reliable old beater, assuming you have the mechanical skills and willingness to do what it takes to help it along in it's old age.

Hypermiling is a sport. Any manual transmissioned car that is OK with EOCing can have it's mileage greatly enhanced by a skilled hypermiler. A prius, with it's smarty pants drive train wants to share in the fun.

I'm selfish. I don't like to share.

It's kind of like a new M5 with it's 13 speed DSG tranny. I don't care if it's faster around the Nurburgring. Rowing the gears in a bimmer is like sex. Why would I want to let some electromechanical gizmo do it for me.

The same goes double for a 911. I'm generally a staunch libertarian, but, would be OK with legislation outlawing such blasphemous technology.

Every time I read about one of you euros discussing the countless engine choices you have, I want to throttle you!!!! More accurately, I want to jump in my horrifically overpowered gasser and drive to DC and throttle everyone at EPA and NHT...NTS....uhhhh, you know, the scoundrels there in charge of making sure we only drive "safe" cars.