View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
8307c4
EcoModding Lurker

beamer - '91 bmw 318is
90 day: 32 mpg (US)
I have been studying the subject of how to improve fuel mileage for about 12 years now and I can honestly say that in all of that time I have found the two most important things one can do while keeping safety and practicality in mind...

Are a light foot on the throttle.
And stop anticipation.

A lot of everything else is mere obsession bordering on compulsive and disorderly behavior that, while it results in a fuel economy gain does not result in a net gain.

If the tires are wearing faster because you are improving fuel economy you're not winning, and if your safety or the safety of other drivers is put at risk because of obsessive behavior concerning the all mighty fuel economy, still nobody wins.

Shortly after I would strongly recommend doing all the regular maintenance such as keeping up on the oil changes and making sure the plugs / wires / cap+rotor are good, also tire pressure all around is very important.

But there is little argument, if you have a lead foot you need to lighten up on the throttle, you argue on the one hand that you want to see better fuel economy, yet on the other you throw it in my face that you're going to drive 70!
Well, there you have it.

Your driving 64 in that 70mph zone would help considerably, you'd see a 10% improvement there alone.
Stop taking those turns, you're simply shaving about 20 thousand miles off your tires.
Instead try anticipating stops and coasting into them.

Most everything else either compromises safety or we end up paying for it some other way, you do realize taking turns hard wears out that $400 set of tires...
Not to mention it is dangerous.
This is what happens when we so concentrate on fuel economy we simply place the burden elsewhere.

There is no argument, if you have a lead foot you need to lighten up on the throttle.

Last edited by 8307c4; 01-20-2012 at 11:16 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 8307c4 For This Useful Post:
Seatec (01-31-2012)