Thread: Hi from Hungary
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
radics1
EcoModding Lurker

Hi from Hungary

Hello everybody,

let me introduce myself:

I am a 27y old mechanical engineer,have an Audi A4 B5 with a 90Hp TDI engine.
Nowadays fuel prices went to the sky,so i got more and more interested in fuel saving methods and hipermiling.

The car does constantly around 5.1L/100km (46MPG US) on diesel,weight is around 1350Kg.

The overall economy is not bad at all with stock car,but i am looking to improve is more and more.

Previously it was fitted with a 1.8T gasoline engine,with pulse and glide i got it to 6,1L/100km also,so it could work also with the diesel engine as well.

Aerodinamics should be also improved.Stock one is 0.31,car is lowered with 40mm,wich improves it also a little bit. I decided to start with grill blocking,so i blocked the grills on the bumper and hood to see if there is any benefit.Testing should be done.

I read here also if the alternator is shut down,it also improves the fuel consumption by 5-10% wich would be amazing.I am looking for a solution to use some type of management for the alternator. For example charge only if voltage drops under 12 or 12.2V, Charge on overrun braking etc.
Maybe somebody did this before me.

Well big changes on the car are not allowed in our country (like boot tailing),but i hope with smaller modifications i still can improve it.

Thanks for reading!