View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
sendler
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
I would focus on climbing the hills at best efficiency then coasting downhill with EOC. A slight decrease on the uphills followed by an increase in speed on the downhills, if they are enough grade to do that with the engine off. Using your stock weight and your tuck you should be able to easily get over 100 MPG and possibly 120 MPG on that course (which I am not very familiar with).

Possibly an aero attachment to your back to get the air flow behind you less turbulent, a boat tail that was attached to your back in your tuck.

regards
Mech
I am designing a simple boat tail trunk as every motorcycle needs some kind of luggage. I may then also play with an aero back pack to get the air from the base of the helmet down to the front of the trunk. I also have a concept of a cloth fairing which you put on over your riding jacket like a vest and the back would be a flexible sock that could be stretched back over the tail of the trunk to create a smooth fabric skin. I would eventually like to do something behind the legs like a land speed bike but might just hold off on that until I can get the CBR125R and make that into my all out competition machine.
I can bring some kitty litter to add mass in the trunk if I get any practice time on the track, which I doubt. Tuning on the track would be the best way to find out if it is feasible or not. You obviously wouldn't want to add mass if it would then require a downshift or brakes anywhere. But barring those handling and power to weight caveats , more mass would mean more energy storage during the pulse. Better and smoother utilization of high throttle angles and a longer coast to make it all much easier to administer. Lower frequency. I'll have to get on google earth to look at the track to see how tight or hilly it is. If there is a hairpin or chicane that is tighter than 50 mph then you would not want to add any mass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Land Speed.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	10081  
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
user removed (01-21-2012)