View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
hat_man
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
This has been an interesting read for me. Even though I don't understand the specifics (pumping losses:throttle opening etc.) I get the main understanding. Warm air is less dense and means less fuel.

I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Just a guy who likes to tinker with his truck and squeeze as much as I can get out of it. I do have two questions that I hope someone can explain for me without going into too much techspeak. (I ain't got much fer smarts)

1) Why does this not seem to work with a MAF but does with a MAP? And what is the difference in these two doo-hickeys anyhow?

2) I have heard of the ZX2's using a resistor to "trick" the computer into thinking the intake air is colder than it really is. I realize it is to help advance the timing (I know what that physically means but don't know why it works), but doesn't it use more fuel to compensate for what it thinks is colder/higher density air?

I'm sure these questions seem trivial for the most of you, but I'm always trying to learn something new.

p.s. I made a what I think is a "poor man's WAI" but I don't know how to re-size my pictures to get them posted here. They are about twice as big as the site allows. Any help there would be appreciated also.

Thanks.