View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I would say "probably" about one sensor working better than the other with a WAI. I would also say in my opinion WAI would make a difference with either as long as you are working with "severe cold temperature" as they are both using basically the same fuel.

Also consider the radiator block as a means of increasing the temperature of the coolant leaving the radiator and entering the engine. Since a cooling system is a "worst case scenario" design. it's capacity is far in excess of anything needed in very cold temperatures. In fact for some here, they could probably drive their car using hypermiling techniques with just the heater core for cooling, since their technique reduces waste heat significantly which exacerbates the excess cooling capacity of the stock radiator.

The colder coolant exiting the radiator and entering the engine will absorb more heat from the cylinder walls. Some manufacturers are using this knowledge to restrict air flow over the radiator in cold conditions to increase the temperature of the coolant entering the engine. That temperature can vary by as much as 100 degrees in the extremes of winter and summer conditions. Hotter coolant entering the engine means less heat loss through the cylinder head and walls, as long as it does not create an overheating condition in the engine.

regards
Mech