View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #234 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
independent concept verification

I've been turning over every rock I can get my hands on with respect to information with which to help reduce the trip data on the trailer.
I found what I believe to be an independent verification to the premise,that a trailer could actually reduce the drag of the tow vehicle combination.
The data is from Sighard Hoener's 1951 book,'Aerodynamic Drag,'Chapter 9 (B),pages 166-172,Fig.9.12,'Aerodynamic drag coefficients of a "standard" locomotive,a streamlined engine,and of a power car,measured (9.15) in combination with a tail car.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image (b) and (c) depict a streamlined NEW YORK CENTRAL R-R, steam locomotive with angled-roof tender,Cd 0.39,and a streamlined self-powered passenger railcar,Cd 0.42,both pulling a boat-tailed 'Tail Car' of Cd 0.10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
While the Cd 0.10 'Tail Car' is certainly of interest,it was the streamlined coal tender which struck me.
The Tender is 37.6 feet in length,behind a 57.4-foot locomotive.The body of the tender begins,matching the aft-body of the locomotive,@ 137 sq ft projected frontal area,then at 50% length,begins a constant 9-degree roof slope,terminating at 89 sq ft cross-sectional area ( which matches passenger rail car dimensions).
In the second paragraph of the chapter,Hoerner explains that the Cd of the locomotive/power-car can be derived,simply by subtracting the Cd of the 'Tail Car (0.10).
This gives Cd 0.29 for the Loco./Tender vs Cd o.32 for the power-car (both Cds are measured in front of a 'train').
This suggests that the 9-degree 'fastback' Tender is actually streamlining the locomotive down to a lower drag than the constant-section power-car.From the numbers,a drag reduction of 9.3% is attributed to the effect of the Tender (trailer).
With respect to the 'Tail Car,' it is 48.75 feet in length,with 11.75 feet of boat-tail.76% of the length is just skin friction,leaving 24% of the length as base drag.At Cd 0.10,it's pretty interesting when you consider the majority of constant section and length.
I'll do the calcs some time to separate out the skin friction of the tail car,and try and get an image posted.Al's pretty busy today,no guarantees.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
BamZipPow (01-22-2012), orbywan (03-10-2012)