View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
EricRyan
EcoModding Lurker

1994 Honda Civic LX - '94 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 37.21 mpg (US)

Taco - '11 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner
90 day: 22.45 mpg (US)
New from Louisiana.

Hey guys & gals!

My name is Eric Easton, I'm a 25 year old engineering student and musician. I picked up my 1994 Honda Civic LX after my 1975 Toyota Celica GT was totaled. I bought the Civic so I would have transportation while restoring the Celica.

Originally, I was going to leave it alone, but being on the verge of 40 MPG all of the time really bothered me. I took interest in BMWdoc's, of CleanMPG.com, design for a grille block on his Honda Fit.

I bought a 24" x 32" sheet of 0.093" plexi-glas ($13) from Home Depot, and a cheap jig-saw from HarborFreight (under $30). I drew my measurements straight on the plexi and began cutting using a fine-toothed blade in the jig-saw. Drilled several holes before mounting so my tiny screws wouldn't split the plexi in half.

Before I was getting a consistent 37-38 MPG mixed. Using same driving habits (minus one frantic drive to the vet.), using the same gas station/pump, I was able to get 424 miles out of 9.863 gallons! A 13% or 5 MPG jump up to 43 MPG mixed!

I am so proud of this mod. and according to the Ecomodder garage, I saved $4.06 at today's (and probably tomorrow's) gas price! This mod. will be paying for itself in a matter of 5 fill-ups.

One thing I will say though, I did go overboard and I restricted the air-flow to the A/C condenser a little too much as the A/C kicks on a little more than usual. I will cut a medium sized entry way towards the bottom of the plexi to fix this issue. Hopefully it won't affect MPG too-too much.

Good to meet you all, I will continue to modify and keep you guys posted of my results.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricRyan For This Useful Post:
benphyr (01-22-2012), cfg83 (01-23-2012)