View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #63 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Square D VFD test, starts up OK

I spent about 2 hours searching for the manual. I found it online - 4 years older than the one that I got WITH the VFD.

I've gone through the new (well, the CORRECT) manual, written up what the defaults are and what I think the test will need. Now I'll go remove the motor from the VFD, then type in the parameters that I want to change and check all of the rest.

Wiring - terminals 1 - 2 - 7, terminals 2 - 22.

Power up VFD (with minimum voltage - it turns out to be 125 VAC single phase). The VFD electronics power up - the electronics take very little power. But the pre-charge resistor is not bypassed, so when the output to the motor is turned on, the bus voltage drops and the VFD trips on low voltage.

The VFD powers up without the motor connected. Parameters are entered. I fat-fingered one of them. Parameter review at the end caught it.

I hit the START button on the VFD keypad and the output turned on, then tripped on low input voltage.

Connect the motor (after turning off the VFD)

I turned up the input voltage to the VFD - 220VAC. The pre-charge resistor is bypassed now - I didn't see when the bypass pulled in.

Start up the motor and change speeds a few times. Looks good.

Check terminal 10D - 10 Hz = 0.979V, 50 Hz = 5.01V, 75 Hz = 7.48V, 100 Hz = 9.98V, 25 Hz = 2.47V. That's pretty linear and should work OK.

Check terminal 10E - the output should be measured in amps. Not really sure how to check that. The motor does not take a lot of amps when unloaded.