View Single Post
Old 05-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Achtung
Pickup Driver *gasp!*

Charlie - '97 Chevrolet 1500 Pickup W/T
90 day: 24.14 mpg (US)
When I drive my automatic truck, what I do is accelerate like normal but let off the gas before it revs too high, so that it shifts into the next gear early, then press down on it a bit again. I watch my tach and I usually let off around 2000 so that the revs stay between 1700 and 2000 usually. Any comments?

Here's my newbie's suggestion for Harry, you smarter folk can pick it apart if you like!

On an empty flat road with preferably no wind, start from zero speed and reset your avg mpg, then do a "granny acceleration'' test, so accelerate to 60mph really slowly, and make note of where you reach that speed, and what your avg mpg is at that spot. Then go back to your starting position, reset your avg mpg, and do the test again with fast acceleration, up to 60 mph, then when you reach that spot, make a note of this test's avg mpg. Of course, this time you'd be cruising at 60mph for a bit. And you'd want to do each test several times. The driving style that has a higher avg mpg would be better for you to use!

This isn't very exact of course, but it could give you a rough idea on how fast you should be accelerating. I'm not that familiar with scanguage, I still need to get me one of those, but do they show fuel flow? If they do, use that to make sure each time you do each test is the same.