View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Cassem
EcoModding Lurker

Casey - '11 Mazda 2 Touring
90 day: 46.49 mpg (US)
Ive made a little bit of progress. I was hoping to do more but we are forecast to have a big storm come through in a few hours so Id rather not start something I can't finish.
--

Before I started with the grille block. The nice people at Mazda already put in a nice partial block. It really isn't very substantial.

After I applied a liberal amount of black duct tape. Im doing this the ghetto way! If I was going to actually make a block for the inside of the grille I would have to take apart a lot of the front end

Im thinking of rounding off these bad lads with painters tape covered in silver shiny tape. I never use these lights anyways, they don't make much of a difference.

--
I attempted a bidirectional test using a 55mph stretch of highway and my cruise control. I set the cruise control, reset my factory installed mpg gauge at the same spot on the highway and went for an exactly one mile drive.
Before the grille block: 39.8 average
After the grille block: 45.6 average

... these numbers can't be right. I did close off a huge area but it's like giving Michael Phelps orthodontics to fix his overbite, sure it will help performance but by how much?