Thread: Oregon commuter
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electictracer
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
Oregon commuter

Hi everyone. I’ve been a long time reader of the Ecomodder forums, but I just became a member and this is my first post. I’m starting a project which I think would interest the members of this forum.

I am a young electrician working on an electrical engineering degree. In about 2 years I’m going to be driving 80 miles round trip to a different university. My truck does not get good enough mileage for this long drive. My motorcycle is not much fun to drive in the dark, cold, and wet Oregon winters. My solution is to build a single seat, 250cc version of a Monotracer. I intend to have a heater, radio, comfortable seat, and storage area.

The Goal of the project is to build a vehicle that will achieve 100mpg, be under the gross vehicle weight of the donor bike with rider, and cost under $2000 to build.

I’m using a low millage 250cc Kawasaki Ninja for a donor. It had heavy body damage and needs some mechanical work, but has low mileage and only cost 500 dollars. The frame will be made from square steel tubing, and will be covered with aluminum sheet metal.

I would really like any input from you guys on my ideas, designs, and technical challenges. I intend on documenting my progress as regularly as I can.