View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #109 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
"You can't fix stupid".

I've averaged 67 MPG, for over 25k miles, in a CVT equipped Insight without lean burn.
Driving right at or just below the speed limits on the roads I travelled.
615 miles in 10.5 hours driving time at 70 MPG.

I ask repeatedly "What average speed?", when peole post really high mileage claims.
And almost without exception get no answer. I can only guess that means the answer is VERY LOW average speeds.

DCB, we have bumped heads here a few times, that is not the porpose of this post.

If you want to spend your life trying to re-educate drivers, then God help you.
Pop always told me "Blame the system, not the people". What he meant was when you attack people you get nothing, and the ydo percieve it as an attack, but if you change the systems they employ then you have a much greater chance of success.

Maybe that makes me the oddball here, but my method has far greater chances of making the idiots I see on the road every day, more efficient drivers, in spite of their idiocy.

Don't think I have enough heartbeats left on this planet to engage in wholesale behaviour modification. Maybe I am not that much of an idealist.

Thanks Ken for the positive support. My quest has now covered 12 years. In another 12 I will be 73 and probably not driving much, which should make Neil very happy, since my carbon footprint will drop substantially.

I still think Evacuated Tube Transportation Technology is the future, and it will please Neil and the other electric transportation advocates to no end that it is electric.

My solution is a transitional one that bridges the gap between current technology and the point at when we have batteries with the energy density of a NASA flywheel battery.

Until then I have seen no better alternative.

regards
Mech
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
Ecky (01-23-2012), Ken Fry (01-23-2012)