View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electictracer View Post
My MPG as dropped so much this winter I have got to do something.
I usually park in a garage, and my car is ready to go immediately. If I don't park in a garage, I'll wipe the interior windshield with a rag and open the side windows for a moment while I'm driving. I just can't be bothered to wait to go somewhere, and I certainly don't like to waste money.

When I park on hills, I will coast until engine power is needed and then roll start in 2nd gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Re: anti-idling laws: We need to be more like Finland. Yes, I don't like more and more laws but the people have proven incapable of common sense on their own.
This is a very slippery slope indeed. I'd like to force people to make good decisions too, but that is not my place. We would end up with a law that made it a crime to idle a car because people like to stay warm, but perfectly legal for me to pour a barrel of oil out on my lawn and dance around the flames. Of course, we would have to outlaw the Bugatti Veyron and scores of other vehicles well before we outlawed excessive idle.

If you want to impose good judgement, the biggest benefit (for society) would be something along the lines of prohibiting poor or stupid people from procreating. Who is too poor, too stupid, or what is excessive idling? See what I'm getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
...then start it up again only to sit in the passenger seat waiting for what seemed an eternity for his fat-a$$ed girlfriend to come back outta the C-store.
I have noticed a pattern of poor decision making skills by those that frequent convenience stores. My observations were made as a passenger in one of these running cars while the driver ran inside to grab a pack of cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
It's a cultural thing AFAIK, the worst thing you can do socially in America is to come across as a cheapskate.
There is some truth to this, but it mostly comes down to ignorance. Old cars used to run like garbage when they were cold, so people warmed them up. Where do we get advice? -from old people. Old habits die hard.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-23-2012 at 10:32 PM..