View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Guess you've never experienced real heat, have you?
Well, there were the days when I worked construction on the Las Vegas Strip, and would see the time/temperature sign on the Sahara flash 3:00AM/112F, and the mortar I'd spread would get a dry crust before I could get the tile down on it. And then there was the summer spent driving a Cat down around Bakersfield, with the hot air & dust blowing back off the engine. Add a summer spent at FSU in Tallahassee, and part of one in Parris Island, which adds humidity and sand fleas to the heat. So yeah, I'd say I've experienced real heat.

But the point here is not heat per se, it's why you would go camping - the goal of which is to be in a natural environment - and yet be unwilling to experience whatever that natural environment has to offer.

And yes, I do wonder why the armed forces use A/C. In my experience, at least, it makes you far less able to tolerate the heat when you do have to be out in it (and I doubt the jihadists are so considerate as to attack only indoors or in the cool season), and the stress of the transitions from hot outdoors to usually over-cooled indoors is hard on the body.