View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #124 (permalink)
pete c
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Pop turns 91 this May 8th. He hypermiled his B17 in WW2 to compensate for the bullet and flack holes in his self sealing tanks. Here is a picture of his left wing after another B17 dropped it through his wing when it was hit by flack on the bomb run. White phosphorus thermite cluster bomb. When he got back to his base they removed the wing and replaced with another wing that was painted. After that the plane would not fly straight due to the painted wing, and they had no paint remover to get the paint off.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, forgetful, check. middle of the night trip to the bathroom, check, LOL I have an aunt that smoked from age 12 to age 92, she just turned 100 this last week. May we be cursed with their presence for a long time, eh .

regards
Mech
awesome story. tell your dad, thanks. unfortunately we are losing these national treasures at a high rate.

i've been honored to know a few of those guys.

my step dad was a WW2 paratrooper. my old neighbor was a WW2 merchant mariner. i remember him telling me how much fun it was being on a defenseless freighter in the south pacific, loaded to the brim in 55 gallon drums of av gas. yikes! i had a real estate agent that made it through his 25 runs over germany driving a B-17.

as for your aunt, i would have to question her wisdom about quitting smoking, if it had gotten her to 92!

i'm a relative young pup of 48, but, i think i have a few things on that list already.