View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
88FieroGT
EcoModding Lurker

Simple Series Hybrid

I would like to eventually made a series hybrid I just need to gather my ideas and key features.

I plan on making a series hybrid that cannot be moved when the ICE doing the powering is not running , and without battery banks.... Yes I know this will lose some efficiency unless regulated precisely with a computer to vary output to match. Including at idle of the ICE without a battery bank to charge with the wasted energy.

But my ideas are besides reliability , simplicity , practicality , cost , weight , space.

So for my purposes of what I would like to make one I feel that no battery banks and no transmission and relying on the low end torque of an electric motor of adequeate power will do the job while keeping the weight down while accomplishing the others key ideas also.

I have a question to whether or not I can power my electric motor for the ICE output whether a motor or generator I have yet to decide... By transfering full output of the engine directly to the motor without a controller , and use my pedal or throttle to meter the output of the engine , with a switch at the beginning position of the throttle to close the gap from the power generated to allow me to idle my engine without any movement without needing to hold a brake.

Also I am going to research to see if I can find one but am wondering. Are there any dual shaft electric motors with a built in differential? I highly doubt it from my basic understanding of electric motors if its at all really possible without extensive cost , size , and weight.