View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #31 (permalink)
Diesel_Dave
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p38fln View Post
I let mine run for about 5 minutes with remote start if its below freezing. If it's below zero F I'll let it run for 15 minutes - Its really hard to drive when you can't move for the shivering
Above freezing and I'll start it with remote start as I walk towards it - It usually finishes the turbo test by the time I get to the drivers door, and I just drive away.
I have tried starting it and just driving immediately, but it puts out a huge cloud of brownish black smoke and retards the engine pretty severely for the first 15-20 seconds.

Also, in the summer time I turn the "Quiet Start" feature on - it makes it low idle if I do remote start it. In the winter I turn "Quiet Start" back off since it makes it high idle to warm up faster.
Hmm, hadn't heard that about the Ecoboost. My turbodiesel is good to go right after it fires up. Then again, I don't think I've ever tried it when it's gotten down to zero.

And as far as the shivering goes, I just wear my big winter coat, gloves, and a winter hat, since I refuse to run my heater until my engine warms up--unless the windows start fogging up and I can't take care of that by rolling the window down a crack.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html