Thread: 6 stroke engine
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Read about this idea awhile back somewhere on the interwebs.

For those that haven't heard of it, it is basically a 4 stroke ICE with a 2 stroke steam engine tacked on at the end.

The way it works is that after the normal 4 stroke sequence, the engine gets a qsuirt of water which immediately turns to steam due to the heat and pushes it through one more pair of strokes.

The guy that put this together says why throw away all that heat from combustion when you can make some steam out of it and put it to work.

The problem I see is you probably don't want that stream going through the cat and you would like to recycle it to cut water use which means an extra exhaust valve and port. Maybe you could use the same exhaust port and have a secondary valve down stream to dump the steam back into the loop. Doing this would aid in exhaust valve cooling.

The inventor was claiming some pretty high thermal efficiency if i recall and said that the steam cycle cooled things well enough to do away with any other cooling system.

I'll see if I can find the info on it.. Can't do it here due to this damn work firewall.
Crower 6 stroke.

Six-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regards
Mech