View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Scorched
EcoModding Lurker

Green Machine - '04 Saturn Ion Quad Coupe
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)
Trouble with "Pulse and Glide"

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and I am relatively new to hypermiling. In order to achieve the most efficiency from my vehicle I try to employ as many techniques as I can.

Two techniques which I would really like to use are "pulse and glide" as well as turning off my engine at stoplights, although, I am having some difficulty.

I drive a 2004 Saturn Ion1 with CVT. Here are the issues I am having with these techniques:

1. When starting my engine it will rev to ~2,500 RPM. I have to wait a moment for it to drop down to idle before I can begin moving. This is frustrating not only because it takes too long and I do not wish to hold up traffic but also because it seems that fuel is being wasted on startup.

2. After shutting the engine OFF I have no problem gliding for a while but it seems I cannot restart it until the vehicle is STOPPED and in PARK.

So my questions are: Is there a way to sefely restart the engine while the vehicle is still in motion? Possibly a way to rig a quick start up? Also, is there a way to avoid the initial "rev" when starting the engine up?

Thanks for the input!