View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #156 (permalink)
visionary
Stick your neck out...

Looking for ideas

I’m working on a challenging section of the project, and I’m hoping someone will be able to come up with a suggestion that will help me find a simple solution. So far, in this thread, I have been pleasantly surprised by ideas that I had not considered.

I’m doing the braking system on the vehicle. What I have are original donor motorcycle components –
Front wheel (CBR600) – pair of discs mean effective diameter 250mm, pair of sliding two 21mm piston callipers
Rear wheel (ZR750) – single disc, mean effective diameter 220mm, single (sliding) two 27mm piston calliper
Master cylinders – Brembo ½ remote reservoir type

My aim – to arrive at a solution making the best use of the parts that I have, achieving a well-balanced linked system, with a single (left) foot operated brake pedal.

The dilemma – my vehicle has a much lower centre of mass, longer wheelbase, and more rearward static weight distribution than a traditional motorcycle. Therefore the forward weight transfer will be much smaller than normal. In order to achieve a reasonable balance between front and rear baking power I need to increase rear brake performance.

My questions are
On other “linked system” motorcycles, what front rear split is employed?
Other than the traditional racecar “balance bar” method, are there other simple ways to provide adjustment?
Am I being too “fussy” for a 90cc vehicle?

My last resort options are – smaller master cylinder diameter (rear), larger disc (rear), second calliper on rear, or pressure limiting valve on front, none of which I like – do you have any suggestions?