View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
ERTW
EcoModding Apprentice

Bu - '08 Chevrolet Malibu LS
90 day: 32.29 mpg (US)
Modifying the Malibu

My 2008 Chevrolet Malibu is worse, aerodynamically, than any of the "old" W-bodies, and 20% worse than the 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It quickly coasts down from 100 kph to 80 kph (it doesn't like to coast). I believe I can bring the Cd down into the 0.28 range, without any blatant, or gaudy, aero add-ons. I *may* have access to a full sized wind tunnel.

I have a goal of raising the highway mileage from 30 mpg to 45 mpg. With mild p&g, and staying below 65 mph, I've already seen 37 mpg and I believe it's a reasonable goal.

I plan on doing some internal engine work, and expect 10-15% improvement there. I'm working with a gentleman who specializes in high performance engines. He's seen huge improvements with engine mods. I need to get a Pontiac G6 ECU to access parameters with my HPTuners.

Down the road I'd like to swap in an F40 6 speed transmission. Aside from my pet peeve of the 4 speed auto of shifting in turns, it also has a 12.6% lower final drive. A manual is simpler to implement than the 6 speed auto, easier to control, and integrate with the ECU.

I have 225 series Goodyear Comfortred on stock steel rims, now inflated to 41 psi, and I'd like to use 205 series LRR tires on lightweight aluminum rims.