View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #112 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
It seems an EV makes the most sense for multi-car families. The EV can be used for everyday short trips, and the conventional vehicle for the road-trips or other long drives. I'm a single guy that needs 1 car to do it all, so EV is out.

This leads me to my next point, EVs are uncool. Even if they make economic sense, they must also make "emotional" sense for the majority of people to purchase them. Men purchase cars that are fun to drive and project a certain image to women. Women purchase the color and model they will look cute in. I don't know too many women that are attracted a mans sensible decisions. They are attracted to fun guys, not rationality. *Obviously a generalization.

EVs don't have just economic hurdles to overcome, but also image problems. They have to appeal to more than just wealthy older couples and environmental zealots before the other 90% will purchase them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I wonder if anyone will consider the possibility of reducing demand someday?
We all will, when supply becomes expensive. Consumption is a function of relative cost, nothing more, nothing less.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!