View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Warning, use due diligence. These yards use forklifts to move the cars around. A careless forklift operator COULD damage the battery. Then you are SCREWED.

In most cases the cars rest on their rocker panels when they are moved. If you can not personally inspect the vehicle to insure yourself of the batteries condition I would not think of buying any car from a salvage auction. You don't even want to think of having to do any battery work above and beyond the existing damage.

Don't jump the gun and make a bad decision, there will be plenty of any car at salvage auctions, and the longer you wait the more information you will have about past accident issues like what happened to the Volt after the NHSTA testing.

I am not trying to influence you and I am not bidding on that car. If I was seriously considering it I would arrange for a personal inspection which means I would have to fly there and ship it to Virginia, two expensive additional costs.

If you are seriously interested in an electric vehicle, a salvage Leaf would be the perfect candidate for the components you would need and today, when this one sells, you will see what the market will bear as far as price, but I think you have to watch the auction as it sells to see the final winning bid.

regards
Mech