View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
user removed
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
To the reseller salvage industry the major consideration is when will I sell the components?

With only 11,000 of them on the roads today and a 10 year 150 k battery warranty, from the resellers perspective the car has little value, which means possibly a real deal for someone who is looking more at the long term profit potential.

For someone here who is looking for the best possible battery for an electric car the Leaf battery pack with it's 48 modules should be very tempting.

Get the car take out the battery, list everything else on eBay and sell it in the next year or two and you have a free battery. Rebuild the car and you have a half price Leaf with no warranty (salvage titles void the warranty). If you find one selling with a clear title (not quite totalled) then you still have the warranty.

I could probably disassemble 5 of them and store the parts in my garage, and still have the room for our two cars. I would have no more need for motorcycles, which if I sold the ones I have, would probably pay for the first Leaf.

regards
Mech