View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
BurningDinosaurBones
EcoModding Lurker

The Burner - '93 Volkswagen Golf TD GL
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
Ecomodding Project Car Impounded...

So I recently picked up this little volkswagen diesel to save money on fuel. My other vehicle is a Ford E-250 Van that gets about 8 MPG and costs me about $30 every time I want to drive into the city for food/water/etc (no running water where I currently live). The car has been sitting for months and needs some body work and a windshield to pass safety inspection to be legal for the road and to change registration into my name.

Well my girlfriend and I were pulled over when we took it for a drive yesterday and the car was towed to a garage where they were to do the inspection. The car is not to be released from the garage until it is inspected and registered with the department of motor vehicle. I know it's my own dumb fault for driving it without inspection/registration but I did it anyway since I am unemployed and I need to take a shower sometimes and my assisted membership at the ymca allows me to do so from time to time. I did have insurance at least, good thing I did, because that would be a $1500 fine I am told.

So at the end of the day, my car needs a windshield, a few holes in the floor and fender fixed to pass inspection plus a few other small issues. The shop where the car is sitting said that they can't fix it because they do not do body work. The shop claims the car needs hundreds of dollars of brake work and other things to pass but I know that they are full of **** because the brakes were just replaced last year and the car only was used for a couple of weekends since then. But the car is not to be released from that shop until it is inspected and registered. So I am stuck and at this point if I can't find some way around this they are simply going to sell my car for parts and probably make a decent amount of cash off of it since it has a hard to find (in my area) MK3 Volkswagen turbo diesel engine. I can fix everything myself for free, except the windshield. I have been collecting all the necessary materials to fix it myself. Currently my life savings is at $85 towards getting that windshield replaced lol.

What should I do?

Edit: I called the cop today and he said I could just drive it home and fix it. What a waste of time. End of story.

Last edited by BurningDinosaurBones; 01-31-2012 at 09:19 AM..