View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #32 (permalink)
Piwoslaw
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentraSE-R View Post
The CARB emissions test goes something like this. The smog test operator drives your car onto a set of rollers and sticks a sniffer up its tailpipe.
So a sniffer is still used? After your first post I thought that they only hooked up a diagnostic tool and looked for emissions related codes. I read that is the case in certain states and thought that Cali was one of them.
On-board diagnostics - Emission testing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the United States, many states now use OBD-II testing instead of tailpipe testing in OBD-II compliant vehicles (1996 and newer). Since OBD-II stores trouble codes for emissions equipment, the testing computer can query the vehicle's onboard computer and verify there are no emission related trouble codes and that the vehicle is in compliance with emission standards for the model year it was manufactured.
This got me wondering about how accurate pure OBD testing is, compared to physically analyzing the emissions.

Darrell, thank you for starting this discussion Emissions vs. fuel consumption has come up here before, but it's good to stir it every so often. I too am very curious where this goes, whether increasing your own emissions locally really would reduce global pollution, as rmay and brucey suggested. Unfortunately we still lack data, and even then we'd have to crunch a lot of numbers.

Would a smaller cat warm up faster and/or to a higher temperature? Not something you could easily replace with all the CARB restrictions, tho.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread