View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
BurningDinosaurBones
EcoModding Lurker

The Burner - '93 Volkswagen Golf TD GL
90 day: 42.13 mpg (US)
Wait, the story is not complete yet.

I called the cop this morning and he said "you can just go pick up the car and drive it home as long as he puts the rejection sticker on it, and you have the insurance and old registration with you". So I called the shop and let the guy know that the cop said it was ok to come get the car.

When I arrived at the shop I re-stated that the cop told me I could pick up the car. The garage guy says "that's not what he told me". So later I learned that this motherF@@@ called the cop right after talking to me and told him that he didn't think my car was safe enough to drive home! For some reason this shop guy decided to be a real dick about this. I was nothing but courteous to the guy throughout this whole ordeal and he turns around and sabotages it for me. He then said that his buddy in the back room has a flat bed truck and they can haul the car to my house for $100 lol. So I have no choice at this point and now I'm waiting for them to show up at my house tomorrow night with the car.

I really hate automotive shops, I've never met a straight shop owner yet.

Tangent/Rant:

I recall about 5 years ago I had a 1993 civic 4 door that needed inspection so I took it into a shop and let them have at it. Well when they were done the guy came out and was like "oh my god you should not be driving that on the road it needs all new brakes tie rod ends ball joints, that car is dangerous to drive etc etc" and then he gave me an estimate of somewhere around $1600 to get it inspection ready. So I said see ya later, drove down the street to the next shop I found, asked them to do an inspection and the car passed!

I've always stayed out of shops and done the work myself as much as possible but god dam. How do you find someone you can trust for the times you can't do the work yourself?