View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
2 stroke low pressure fuel injected engines

Since I have several old cars, I have been reviewing some of the diy ECU options and there are a few.

One of my cars is a little 2 cycle, I have noticed that many newer boat motors advertise that they have converted their existing platforms to low pressure direct injection.

This reduces emissions and improves fuel economy by injecting gas just after the valves close, in this way no fuel exits out the exhaust pipe during the intake stroke.

I am curious if anyone has encounted a list of motors that use this technology, I know of foreign mopeds and domestic boats but that is about it.

My hope is to find an existing EFI 2 cycle motor of similar characteristics AKA 2 cylinder 360ccish that is on the used market or damaged to steal the system from.

What I have read so far is that they have converted existing platforms by simply adding the injector and the O2 sensor and support circuitry.

I would think a small tapped hole with its location carefully chosen would work for the injector without increasing the likelyhood of failure.

What makes this unique to the typical gasoline injector is that it is tuned to inject only at a specific time in the cylinders stroke while the pressure is still low.

If it would be possible to tune the injector to only fire at certain times like the spark only fires at certain times I could possibly use a standard injector from a small engine. (1L 4 banger or so I would guess)

Anyone know of anyone else who has already attempted this paticular conversion?

It interests me more than the normal EFI conversion on a 2 cycle because it removes the biggest fuel and pollution waste.

Thanx
Ryan