View Single Post
Old 02-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #47 (permalink)
SentraSE-R
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Piwoslaw, The cat lights @~500 degrees F. I was seeing cat temperatures of 1101-1185 degrees F on my 900 mile drive last week. If I wrapped a heating blanket around it, I'd set the blanket and my car on fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Umm, your sample size is two tests on two different days under different conditions.

Since you disconnected the battery or otherwise reset the ECU (the readiness monitors were not set for some reason), it was in a different place in its retraining (and not even a valid first test for comparison purposes).

HC does not appear to be the most stable thing to measure to begin with:
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/ld-hwy/...v/ftp-us06.pdf

How do you know it wasn't a throttle position sensor issue? Or operator issue? You don't. There isn't even evidence of a coyote here.

If you are worried about low speed emissions, then stop idling.
??? The two tests show consistently higher than average HC and NOx emissions from my car. The difference between the two tests was 100 miles driven with the cat lit. Otherwise, both tests were driven on the same roller smog test station by the same operator on the same low rpm/higher rpm driving "course."

The state of the drive cycle readiness monitor readiness flags only marks OBDII data logging status. It certainly has no effect on emissions control or testing. Snake 1.

How is the TPS relevant to emissions testing? What TPS issue should I suspect, and why? It's another snake you're looking at. What operator issue? I, the layman, should suspect the smog test operator of doing what?

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg