View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 04:19 PM   #30 (permalink)
straight5
EcoModding Learner

nonikname - '99 Saab 9-5 2.3t
90 day: 33.71 mpg (US)
Most of the advice in this thread has been good. Silicone, or soap ect for temporary fixes. As was pointed out though, if the belt is squealing, there is a reason for it.
One problem that maybe needs a little more attention is the bad pulley.
BadDog started on this but there is more. Over the years, I've tried just about everything mentioned - grease, oil, armor all, wire brushes, greased pulley bearings, belt conditioner, shimming accessories - on different cars of course.
One problem I had with a loud belt was really getting to me. I'd put on a Goodyear Gatorback (the best in my book) and checked everything to make sure it was straight ect. Well it turns out that on my Volvo with 250k miles on it, that the grooves on the crank pulley were worn out. It didn't wobble or anything, and the metal ridges looked plenty tall. The problem was that the ridges were worn in such a way that they were too narrow. That allowed the belt to "bottom out" against the crank pulley. Though that doesn't seem like it would cause a problem (because look how much contact area you have) let me tell you it can.
As you can see in this picture, proper fitment doesn't allow the belt to bottom out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	10195  

Quote:
"God is a God who both created the universe, and also had a plan that included me as an individual human being. And that he has made it possible for me, through this series of explorations, to realize that. It is not just a philosophy, it is a reality of a relationship. "
Francis S Collins - director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
The Following User Says Thank You to straight5 For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (07-08-2014)