View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
seanof30306
EcoModding Lurker

Planning Project Eco-Z

For some time, I've been wanting to swap a GM LSX into an early Datsun Z-car (240, 260, 280 Z). I've always LOVED the way they looked and drove, and it's the only sports car that fits me (6'5", 250 lbs).

As gas has gone up and up, and I've become more and more concerned about the environment, I've decided against the LSX. Lately I've been thinking about going in a completely different direction, and swapping in an I4 and going hypermiling with a Z.

Stock, they only weigh around 2500 lbs. Swapping out a cast iron I6 for an aluminum I4 should be worth at least a couple of hundred lbs. Swap on fiberglass front fenders a fiberglass G-nose (more aerodynamic), and a carbon fiber hood and it should come in around 2000-2100 lbs.

Not only that, but the lighter aluminum I4 is also shorter, so the already good CG would move even further back, I think it'd handle on an autocross course.

I'm trying to decide about candidate engines. I'm thinking something under 2 liters, with MAF OBD II fuel injection.

There's a forum for Z swaps (hybridz.org). Some of the guys on there have swapped to I4s, but they've been doing it for power, not economy.

There's actually a cradle available to swap in an SR20DET I4. The "T" stands for turbo, though, and it's just not what I'm looking for. I can get a non-turbo JDM SR20DE, though that might be more up my alley. I can get a RWD SR20DE with PCM and transmission for around a grand, but I still wonder if this would be the best choice.

I figure I'd like to come in around 100-120 hp, miserly enough to squeeze out 40-45 mpg, but with enough power to at least feel like a vestige of a sports car.

I've gotten some advice from the guys on hybridz.org, but no one there has yet to do anything like this, so no one has any experience. A lot of them are also skeptical, and I find myself wasting a lot of time defending the concept of a sporty hypermiler, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone here might have any thoughts/advice. I'm purely in the planning stages with this, so I'm not married to anything.