View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Miller88
Master EcoModder

XJ Cherokee - '00 Jeep Cherokee Sport
90 day: 12.96 mpg (US)

FoFO - '11 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 36.78 mpg (US)
We have the same Jeep! Except mine spends a bit of time off the highway

The E-Fan thing ... You have two fan in there now - a mechanical fan on the right side of the jeep and an electric fan on the left. If you mess with the existing electrical fan, you're going to get a check engine light. You can, bypass the mechanical fan with an electric one too. Just remember to keep it cool - 4.0s don't like to overheat

Rake the front down. I lost a bit of mileage when I lifted the front of mine higher than the back. Reverse rake is no good. Most likely that's going to have a bit of sag in the back since the stock rear leaves aren't that great.

Next - I'd recommend some sort of way to put a plate on the bottom. I've heard from the guys that go crazy with the skid plates that having a lot of big plates on the bottom of the jeep lowers wind reistance. Maybe a big sheet of plexiglass underneath? Can someone else chip in here?

Also, you can block off the 7 grille openings on the front. I did that with tape on mine - I have an overactive fan clutch that is always engaged and I had to tape off the grille so the engine would get up to temperature!

Next, that Jeep looks like it has 31x10.5s or 235/75/15 tires on it - you don't want those. Too wide. Provided you don't mind the look of small tires - go with a 215 7515 or 205 75 15 on just a regular junkyard steel wheel 15x6. If you still want a tall looking tire, try to source an aluminum wheel from a Jeep liberty (they are 16'') and run 215 75 15. It'll get you a bit taller than stock (higher gearing) and still be skinny.

With all of that said, the 4.0 doesn't like to rev. Keep it at or below 2000 and it'll be happy.