View Single Post
Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Other Andy
EcoModding Apprentice

To Be Determined (Too-be) - '15 Chevrolet Malibu LS Eco
90 day: 35.41 mpg (US)
Taurus driving newbie

Hey everyone! I joined up to find some tips and *light* modifications for my daily driver, a 2004 Ford Taurus.

My tanks have been in the low 20's (last tank 23, best high 27), and since I have a 25 minute freeway commute (albeit a rather hilly one) I started thinking about all the extra money I could save.

Luckily, 2004 was the first year the Taurus had a built in trip computer with average mpg readout (which, oddly, reads something like 5mpg low. I've confirmed this with fillups and other Taurus owners. I wonder what engineer had the bright idea to put in a fuel economy guage that reads low) so that helps.

So far I've done a few mods:
-took out the spare tire and replaced it with a small tire slime/compressor combo. Probably about 10lbs less
-blocked the upper grill
-took off hood bra
-adjusted the nut behind the wheel

Lately I've been seeing (going off the avg readout +5, reset each trip) very high 20's to the very low 30's. I've yet to refill since I started my hypermiling.

Possible modifications:
-block two portions of the lower grill.
-inflate tires to max (currently at 38psi, I've done higher but the ride does get rather rough)
-Remove passenger mirror (likely not. I don't use it, but I'd be more comfortable with it on if my gf is driving it)
-Radio antenna delete (do the stubby antennas create less drag? They are a bit wider)
-rear spoiler delete (3rd brake light is built in and I consider it necessary, so it will take some time to gather the parts to do this correctly. I wonder how much drag it actually creates on this car)
-front air dam (next time I have some garden wall, and garage space)
-hood insulation removal (little effect, but i have to get at a broken washer fluid hose above it anyway)

Suggestions? Comments? I might run without a carpet or insulation for a bit too, but thats actually due to a water leak causing mold.