View Single Post
Old 12-22-2007, 02:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
trebuchet03
MechE

The Miata - '01 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakster View Post
I wonder... maybe someone should design 'runway lights' at the curbs of the road where if you follow the light as it travels down the road, you'll always hit a green-lighted intersection.

Sort of like movie theatre stairway lights, only the lights would 'travel' down the road.

Ah, heck. Let's just go all out and get conveyor belted roads. Like the Jetsons' sidewalks.

That - would be totally awesome Actually, I've seen something sorta like that (for a different purpose). Somewhere in S. Florida - there's a 90 degree turn at the end of a highway offramp. There's an optical sensor and light up road reflectors that follow a curve... It looks really cool - and effective as the concrete at the end of the raised offramp has been "used" a few times...

Hrmm... giving it a few more instances of thought... I'm not quite sure how to program that without being confusing given that the speed needs to change for vehicles behind you...