View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #49 (permalink)
Ladogaboy
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by merccom View Post
that may be all well an good for those that live in new york city but for those that live in montana and kansas not so much so
I use the area where my parents live as a good reference point. The nearest reasonable grocery store is nearly 50 miles away through mountainous roads, so the currently available EVs are nigh unusable. That means that you are stuck with gas, and most people there drive trucks, jeeps, SUVs, and other assorted 4x4s. I'd say that the average mpg on "the mountainside" is ~ 20 mpg. That means that an average trip to the grocery store or other shopping is going to be ~ $50. Seems like a pretty grip situation, right?

But what about the opportunities that arise as a result? First, someone will find a way to provide services because (even at the added cost of a larger vehicle) buying groceries for 300 people is cheaper because those 300 people are now splitting the price for fuel. Second, more viable vehicles are developed, built, and sold. Even now, many of the ranchers are getting Priuses as their second cars and only using their 4x4s when necessary. Hell, the ATVs would probably be traded back in for horses (which, interestingly, would actually bring back a good number of jobs). Third, what about those people who work "down below"? Well, there is already a van pool sponsor by the county (but few currently use it). If there were more interest, the van pool program could be expanded, and the 30 - 50 people who have to commute would have the opportunity to split gas six or seven ways.

I'm sure there are even more ways that people would learn to compensate, but that kind of gives you an idea about how one rural community could adapt. Oh, by the way, if you buy gas there right now, it is already over $5 a gallon, meaning you have to buy it "down below." Then again, for most people, that means they've lost almost two gallons by the time they get home.